Who we are:
Okcoin is one of the world’s largest and fastest growing cryptocurrency exchanges. We help millions of people buy and sell Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other crypto assets every day — but our work is a whole lot more than that. We’re building an inclusive future of finance, one that opens new opportunities to learn financial literacy, store value, and build wealth for everyone.
Okcoin has customers worldwide and offices in the United States, Europe and Asia. Ready to help the next billion people experience the future of finance with us? Come on board.
About the Team:
Okcoin’s Legal team provides legal advice and guidance to the Company across all coverage areas and geographic locations, and supports business growth and development by working with all teams within the company to help them achieve their goals. We are a high-functioning, collaborative and fast-paced group of lawyers who enjoy the cutting-edge nature of our work and our industry.
Our Global Licensing team, in particular, works to support expansion into new markets, with a specific focus on licensing strategy, regulatory engagement, and collaboration with business partners.
About the Opportunity:
This is an essential role at one of the fastest-growing global cryptocurrency exchanges based in San Jose, CA. The Deputy General Counsel will report directly to Okcoin’s Head of Global Licensing, who is based in the US.
The right candidate will have prior experience working with a variety of internal stakeholders and various business teams providing general legal counsel support to a diverse and global organizations. They should also have strong interpersonal skills, sound judgment and decision-making skills, the ability and desire to work with a top-notch legal team, and ideally, experience in the cryptocurrency and fintech industry.
We offer a competitive base salary and bonus structure as well as excellent benefits and an opportunity to work in a cutting-edge industry that will be the future of financial services.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Lead the licensing process in specific jurisdictions and work with the other members of the Global Licensing Team to obtain key licenses.
- Manage external counsel.
- Conduct legal research into global laws and regulations applicable to the crypto industry with the assistance of outside counsel.
- Advise on legal and regulatory aspects of the business's regional strategy.
- Draft and revise application materials in collaboration with the Global Licensing Team and other business teams.
- Meet and communicate with regulators and other governmental bodies related to the company’s licensing efforts.
- Collaborate with product and business development teams to achieve company-wide projects and goals.
- Assist with civil or regulatory litigation matters and supervise outside counsel as needed.
- Manage additional legal requests from all areas of the business and effectively advise on legal concepts and legal risk with an eye towards the strategic goals of business leaders.
What We Look For In You:
- Active membership with a US state bar (CA or NY preferred), or equivalent.
- 10+ years of experience at a top-tier law firm and/or in-house legal team, preferably in a financial services-related industry or other firmly-regulated space.
- Enthusiastic about blockchain technology and have an understanding of the relevant legal/regulatory landscape.
- Comfortable working independently in a fast-paced, growth-stage and multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to effectively advise and build trust with business teams.
- Ability to navigate through legal ambiguity.
- Self-starter, quick learner who is highly driven, proactive, responsive and precise.
- Project management experience with superior organizational skills.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience working on cross-jurisdictional matters and with a global legal team
- Regulatory experience in the financial services industry
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive total compensation package
- Comprehensive insurance package including medical, dental, vision, disability & life insurance
- 401K with company contribution
- Flexible PTO policy, company paid holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Referral Bonus Program paid in BTC
- Company Donation Match
- More surprises when you join!
Okcoin is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, genetic information, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, lawful alien status, national origin, age, marital status, and non-job related physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
- The salary range for this position is $220,000 to $330,000.
- The salary offered depends on a variety of factors, including job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and market location. In addition to the salary, a performance bonus and long-term incentives may be provided as part of the compensation package, as well as a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. Applicants should apply via Okcoin and OKX internal or external careers site.