At 3Box Labs
we are on a mission to usher in a new era for the web, where data is secure, interactions are trustworthy, and relationships are the basis of connection. We're enabling online experiences that are delightful and integrated while also bolstering privacy and freeing innovation. Our first product, Ceramic
, is the building block for composable data on the web and is powering thousands of the world's most ambitious applications.
We're backed by an incredible community and the best investors in the space (USV, Placeholder, Variant, Multicoin) who have deep conviction
in our mission. We are a lean, voraciously curious team from across the globe, with 5 years of expert remote work experience and frequent (and awesome) team retreats to spend time together. We have founded tech startups, written books, won product awards, authored patents, created Ethereum standards, and advised F100 CEOs.
Come help us tackle novel challenges and reinvent how data is managed online. Every one of our roles is remote first (retreat often!). We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team
because we cannot succeed in our mission without it. People that identify with groups traditionally underrepresented in tech are particularly encouraged to apply.
As a Rust Engineer at 3Box Labs, you will contribute to the implementation of the Ceramic core protocol. You will work with a team consisting of skilled Rust engineers and some more recently picking up the art. You will get to focus on problems such as distributed consensus, peer-to-peer networking, cryptography, object-capabilities, and more. This position reports to our Head of Engineering.
Success Looks Like...
- You have driven a major protocol improvement all the way from ideation stage to implementation.
- You have identified and addressed a performance bottleneck in our overall stack leading to a >20% performance improvement.
- It is very easy for node operators to observe their Rust Ceramic nodes to understand what’s going on on their node as well as in the network overall.
- You have made major contributions to network reliability, security, or maintainability of the Rust implementation of the Ceramic protocol.
- You have helped us maintain and enhance components of our stack currently written in TypeScript and partake in the porting of some of those systems to Rust.
You're likely a good fit if you have…
- Intimate familiarity with a systems programming language and its toolchain. Ideally Rust, or is learning it.
- Experience working in large code bases.
- Built and supported infrastructure software used by other developers to run their production applications.
- A commitment to testing and an understanding of the importance of robust testing frameworks.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, and a desire to work as part of a team committed to a common goal.
Salary range: $155-$190K depending on seniority and location. We understand everyone's risk preferences and life situation is different so we can offer flexibility here. Our goal is to extend a fair and exciting offer, while preserving fairness across the team.
Care: We work with passionate teammates committed to a shared purpose and support each other to work better and live well.
Act with intention: We are thoughtful doers who put as much into why and how we do something as what we do.
Go further, together: Our mission is too big for us alone. We cultivate trust, ask for help, and build momentum together.
Drive incredible impact: We aim for massive impact and we deliver.
Benefits and Perks
*Our benefits align with our values and operating model - we want everyone to help own and drive our purpose in their own way, with compensation and benefits to match.
*Generous equity for everyone
*Competitive salary that is fair across the globe
*Unlimited vacation and flexible working hours
*Budgets for learning, thought leadership, and community events
*In person team retreats twice a year