Before you read the details of this role, there’s something you should know. At Matter Labs, we don’t see ourselves as a company, but as a highly aligned global team on a single mission: to accelerate the mass adoption of crypto for personal sovereignty.
Our core technology – zkSync Era – is a layer 2 rollup that uses advanced cryptography called zero-knowledge proofs to scale Ethereum without compromising on security or decentralization. zkSync Era is EVM compatible, which means projects on Ethereum and other EVM-based blockchains can easily deploy on zkSync Era to take advantage of low gas fees and high transaction speeds.
With a total of $458 million in mission-driven funding, zkSync Era is the first EVM-compatible ZK Rollup to go live on testnet (February 2022) and be deployed on mainnet (October 2022). As we enter the endgame for Ethereum scaling, we are committed to full open source and building in public toward our stated mission [so that even if we fail, the community and the ecosystem will benefit from our contribution].
Read more about working at Matter Labs here
. All positions are 100% remote (with the likelihood of optional travel to team and/or industry events).
Please note we are not accepting applications for candidates in the US. If you are based in the US and open to relocating to a location within the below timezone ranges that may be a possibility. Accepted timezones: UTC-5 (EST) to UTC+7 (ICT). Preferred timezones are locations from UTC to UTC+3.
Previous compilers for smart contracts were usually written from scratch. That meant reinventing the wheel, a poor optimization pipeline, and lack of tools. We aim to fix this and deliver production-quality toolchains and a better development experience to our customers. That’s why we use LLVM, follow LLVM development practices, and upstream our fixes. In particular, we strongly prefer to reuse well-written and decently-tested code.
Doing even better testing is where you come in. Smart contract compiler bugs can cause our customers to lose currency, so thoughtful and comprehensive testing is essential. Complete testing of a blockchain programming language is impossible, so the ability to plan and prioritise the most important areas to test is crucial. Enjoyment of software testing and bug filing is required.
What You'll Be Doing
- Adapting and/or creating compiler correctness tests
- Maintaining and supplementing testing infrastructure
- Contributing to, and criticizing, test plan(s). Requirements collection and documentation criticism. Working with developers to decide how each feature is best validated. Implementing test cases. Identifying and reporting weaknesses in current processesInitial investigation of correctness and performance issues; efficiently isolating, clearly reporting, and diligently tracking bugs
What We Look For in You
- Enjoyment of testing software and filing bugs is essential
- Experience with automated testing of command-line programs
- Knowledge of software quality assurance process is required
- Understanding of the principles of compilers, and of computer architecture, plus the ability to work with machine-level and intermediate representations of programs
- Ability to program in a scripting language
- Understanding of software engineering best-practices
- Excellent English Good oral and excellent written English.
- The ability to write a clear, concise, and accurate bug report is required.
- Experience in testing compilers, especially LLVM-based
- Examples of open source bug reports are a strong plus
Working at Matter Labs
At Matter Labs, you have the freedom to work how you want, when you want, and from where you want. We operate in small, focused teams, with no time tracking and minimum bureaucracy. Only results matter. We will provide you with anything you need to learn, grow, and be productive.
Our results-only environment means anyone who believes in our mission can join us, regardless of background, sexual orientation, race, gender, and age. Both our team and community are made up of people from different countries, cultures, ethnical and religious backgrounds. That's why, out of politeness and respect, we refrain from opinions on politics, religion, or sex at the workplace.
We designed our culture of freedom and ownership to persist as we scale and to establish the base for a positive-sum community as we move toward full decentralization.
Apply now if this role sounds of interest and we aim to get back to you as soon as possible.