Before you read the details of this role, there’s something you should know. At Matter Labs, we don’t see ourselves as a company, but as a highly aligned global team on a single mission: to accelerate the mass adoption of crypto for personal sovereignty.
Our core technology – zkSync Era – is a layer 2 rollup that uses advanced cryptography called zero-knowledge proofs to scale Ethereum without compromising on security or decentralization. zkSync Era is EVM compatible, which means projects on Ethereum and other EVM-based blockchains can easily deploy on zkSync Era to take advantage of low gas fees and high transaction speeds.
With a total of $458 million in mission-driven funding, zkSync Era is the first EVM-compatible ZK Rollup to go live on testnet (February 2022) and be deployed on mainnet (October 2022). As we enter the endgame for Ethereum scaling, we are committed to full open source and building in public toward our stated mission [so that even if we fail, the community and the ecosystem will benefit from our contribution].
Read more about working at Matter Labs here
We are looking for a Senior Protocol Engineer with strong knowledge of Ethereum and the EVM to join our Core Team. Your scope will include design and implementation for the zkSync smart contract platform: a zero-knowledge-proof-friendly virtual machine. This team is responsible for the evolution of our protocol and works at both L1 (including our core contracts, verification contracts, and bridge) and at L2, helping shape the direction of zkSync 2.0.
What You'll Be Doing
- Joining the team responsible for the design and implementation of the zkSync smart contract platform: a zero-knowledge-proof-friendly virtual machine
- Developing at L1 and L2, including system contracts (implemented in Solidity and Yul) and server side changes
- Shaping the future of the protocol through research, design, prototyping, engineering, and discussion with external partners
- Conducting independent research in your area of ownership, design, implement and document solutions, and potentially leading a team
What We Look For in You
- Excellent understanding of Ethereum and the EVM
- Experience with Solidity or Vyper
- 5+ years in software development
- Driven by passion, curiosity, and desire to make a meaningful contribution to the world
- Fluency in Rust, C++, Scala, Java or Go - we work primarily with Rust, but prior experience with this language is not mandatory
- Deep understanding of software engineering best-practices
- Ownership mindset and a track record of successfully accomplishing projects
- In-depth knowledge of common algorithms, data structures, and their computational & memory complexities
- Experience implementing data structures and algorithms from scratch
- Experience in cryptography/high-load/protocols design is a big plus
- Fluent written and spoken English
Working at Matter Labs
At Matter Labs, you have the freedom to work how you want, when you want, and from where you want. We operate in small, focused teams, with no time tracking and minimum bureaucracy. Only results matter. We will provide you with anything you need to learn, grow, and be productive.
Our results-only environment means anyone who believes in our mission can join us, regardless of background, sexual orientation, race, gender, and age. Both our team and community are made up of people from different countries, cultures, ethnical and religious backgrounds. That's why, out of politeness and respect, we refrain from opinions on politics, religion, or sex at the workplace.
We designed our culture of freedom and ownership to persist as we scale and to establish the base for a positive-sum community as we move toward full decentralization.
Apply now if this role sounds of interest and we aim to get back to you as soon as possible.